Bringing Parents Up to Speed - Adolescent Mental Health Forum
NSW Parents’ Council, together with Hills Industry Partnership presents:
Bringing Parents Up To Speed
Thriving Not Just Surviving Being A Parent
The NSW Parents' Council hosted a free interactive community mental health forum focusing on young people. The event took place on Saturday November 6th at the Chatswood RSL Club from 1pm until 5pm and was actively supported by Willoughby Council.
According to Anne Crabb, Executive Officer of the NSW Parents’ Council, “The theme of the event which was bringing parents up to speed, was about providing parents with practical tips and proven strategies”. Anne said “The ultimate aim is to build resilience in young people and families by increasing their access to vital information”.
Parents came along to hear about recent advances in medical imaging that have shed new light on what happens to adolescent’s brains as they develop, and how this has resulted in a better understanding of teenage behaviour.
Ruth Fordyce, psychologist, provided resilience building strategies. Ruth is an accredited trainer from the Resilience Doughnut. The Resilience Doughnut is a model for building resilience in children and young people. This model is being used by practitioners all around Australia, and is quickly spreading to other countries, including Japan, South Africa and the UK.
Angie Wilcock, from High Hopes Education Services provided tips on helping children to find balance, develop a positive attitude, organisation and time management skills.
Attendees all received a free resources bag. Representatives from the Local Council Youth Services gave a presentation about services in the Sydney North area.
Future events will be run in 2011, so if you are a member of a P&C group, School Principal, Counselor, or a community organisation interested in hosting a similar workshop in your area please contact The Hills Schools Industry Partnership on firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest.
- Youth Connection Series - Bully Prevention Week
- CyberSafety Button
- HillsSIP 2011 Case Study Booklet
- Hospitality Koori Job Ready Course
- Living with Teenagers - FREE Parent/Carer Information Series
- Resume Builder Resource Hits the Mark!
- Well Done 'Young Mum'
- Closing the gap - Prime Minister's report
- National Career Development Week 2011
- Hills Schools Industry Partnership Work Placement Advisory Panel
- News Article - Eventful Work Experience
- Education - Your Experience?
- How do I choose a career pathway?
- Youth Services and Resource Directory
- The Solar Boat Challenge
- Local Students support Inala Fair
- On The Job Training
- Awards for Excellence in Work Placement
- Worth Employing?
- Accessing the Future
- CSI: The Mystery has been solved
- Goodbye UAI, Hello ATAR
- Hills Schools Industry Partnership Apprenticeship Expo
- Parents as Career Guides Wrap Up
- Students Learn by Doing
- HillsSIP Sponsored VET Awards